The 2015 North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) is now a wrap! The show brought together frame builders, apparel companies, component makers and suppliers to the now thriving cycling town of Louisville, KY. The show certainly lit up my twitter feed with amazing photos of super interesting bikes and new products coming from passionate companies. A show like the handmade bicycle show wouldn’t be complete without some awards for the ingenuity and design from these companies and the people behind them. Hat tip to all of you and all of the companies present at the show. Check after the break for the 2015 award winners!
2015 NAHBS AWARDS GROUPS AND CATEGORIES
RIDING DISCIPLINE DIVISION
Fully complete bikes, paint and component choices factor into the judging (aesthetic impact and correctness of the discipline)
- Best city bike/ Utility bike- Brodie Bikes
- Best road bike- Repete Cycles
- Best mountain bike- Retrotec Fat Bike
- Best cyclocross bike- No. 22 Bicycle Company
- Best tandem bike- Black Sheep Cycles
- Best experimental bike- SyCip
Construction categories: All bikes presented for the construction categories (lugged, fillet-brazed, TIG-welded and carbon layup) are presented as naked frames. To make the frames easier to inspect, they are presented with a fork, headset and stem. Painted bikes are deemed ineligible.
- Best lugged frame- DiNucci Cycles
- Best TIG frame- Kent Eriksen Cycles
- Best Carbon Layup- Alchemy Bicycles
OVERALL DESIGN DIVISION
Theme: These are complete bicycles with a description of the theme, concept or heritage the frame builder is portraying. These bicycles will be judged with an eye toward the overall execution of the theme.
- Best new builder- LoveBaum Bicycles
- Best artisan bike- Cykelmageren
- Best finish- Shamrock Cycles / Michael Corby Cycles (painter)
- People’s choice- Mars Cycles
- President’s choice- Ron Sutphin / United Bicycle Institute
- Best in show- Groovy Cycleworks